Abu Dhabi is known to have year round sunshine making it an ideal place for tourists and residents. However, with that sunshine, also comes a gruesome summer where temperatures rise to 50 degrees Celsius and humidity levels can reach up to 90%. Having lived in this country for 7 years, adapting to these conditions, has not been easy, and I must admit that summer is my least favourite time of the year. However, I would rather be here sweating my bum off while sitting under the A/C, rather than shivering to my bones from the European winters, so I suppose its all about balance.
Here are my top tips to survive summer in Abu Dhabi:
- Hydrate! Drink water all day long, and as much as you can because all the sweat that our bodies generate during summer, has to be replenished.
- Protect yourself from direct sunlight by wear a hat, using an umbrella, wearing lose fitting cotton clothing, and above all – always wearing sunscreen. If possible, try to avoid direct contact with sunlight between 10 am – 4pm.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and avoid heavy food if possible, as the body needs even more vitamins and minerals.
- Avoid heavy make-up and try to switch to a gel or water based facial cream. For the body, hydrate your skin with moisturizing lotion, body cream, or coconut oil.
- Stay fit! I have seen lots of people exercising on the Corniche after sunset, however with the high humidity levels, I personally feel extremely uncomfortable so I keep fit with group fitness classes at Abu Dhabi Country Club and BodyTree Studio.
- Melt away the heat by chilling in a temperature controlled swimming pool, rather than going to the beach, trust me, the sea will feel like a hot Jacuzzi.
It’s tough, I’m not going to lie and year after year, I feel I am becoming less tolerant than I was before, but that could also be an effect of global warming, as 50 degrees Celsius is NOT A JOKE. The positive side is that there are lots of offers throughout the city to keep the energy going, from staycation deals to F&B discounts, entertainment activities, and lots of shopping discounts!
Counting down 3 weeks until I jet off to Europe on holiday and enjoy the fresh air – hope you are all staying cool!
Disclaimer: All views are my own and all photographs are © My Pink Diary, unless otherwise stated. Cover image courtesy of Canva.