With my mum in town, I thought it would be a nice share her recipe for Vanilice, a traditional Serbian cookie, baked during the holidays and special events, best enjoyed with a warm cup of tea or coffee.
- 200 gr. butter
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 4 T powdered sugar
- 100 gr. ground walnuts
- 15 leveled T flour
- 1 t vanilla essence
- Jam of your choice
- Powdered sugar for coating
- In a bowl, mix butter with eggs until fluffy, and add sugar progressively.
- Add vanilla and walnuts, with flour, spoon by spoon, folding the flour the entire time. The dough should be soft.
- Transfer to the dough to a flat surface, coated with flour and use a rolling bin to spread thinly (width should be half of your finger).
- Cut circles into the dough using a with small mold, or a little glass, the size of larger coin (2-3cm).
- Transfer each cookie on a baking tray (it doesn’t need to be lined).
- Bake 15-20 min on 180 degree Celsius temperature, the cookies should stay cream in colour, without turning brown.
- Once baked take two cookies, join them together with a coat of jam (use the side that was placed on the tray), roll in powdered sugar and allow to cool.
Easy peasy right? Go on, give it a go, and make sure you let me know how you like it! 🙂
Disclaimer: Thanks Mom for sharing your recipe! 🙂 Image courtesy: Basta Balkan