My Pink Diary is proud to support Breast Cancer Awareness month and all the strong women who have faced this terrible monster!
I love how much the community gets involved in Abu Dhabi, putting on awareness events such as bake sales, free screenings and fundraising throughout the month of October. When I first moved to the UAE in 2010, I co-led the organization of the Radisson Blu Yas Island’s Annual Pink-a-ton, a fantastic event which involved the entire city. I not only learned how much the community stands together, but I was also humbled to meet survivors, who are some of the bravest people I have met. I was also given the opportunity to work with members of HAAD (Health Authority Abu Dhabi) who fiercely drive education, awareness, and screening to the local community (which is still taboo in some parts, if you can believe it).
Sadly the Pink-a-thon is no longer organized, however a number of organizations have put together activities to support awareness and drive fundraising throughout the month. Here are my top 5:
- Visit The Galleria Mall where you can get a free screening, cupcake, rose and nail polish all organized in association with Pink Caravan: 12-19th October
- Participate in the ADCB Pink 5&10K Run at Zayed Sports City: 13th October
- Take a Pink Yoga session at Shangri-La: 14th October
- Indulge in Pink Afternoon Tea at Ritz Carlton: until 15th October
- Pamper yourself with Tips & Toes’ Let’s Beat Cancer package (mani, pedi and 30 min massage): until 31st October
Life is so precious, and can be taken away from us in a matter of seconds. The good thing about all the initiatives is that prevention is key – and breast cancer CAN be treated if discovered early. Did you know that 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer at some stage in her life? It is SCARY! Check out this infographic, courtesy of Pink Caravan:
Since pink is my happiest colour, and we should always surround ourselves by the things which make us happy, enjoy this little kaleidoscope of the things I love in, you guessed it – PINK!
See you at The Galleria Mall next weekend, I hope! 🙂
For more information about breast cancer, click here and here.
Disclaimer: All views are © My Pink Diary. Photo kaleidoscope was created courtesy of Pinterest.